What Is Gabapentin?
Gabapentin is a prescription anticonvulsant medication commonly known by the brand name Neurontin. Gabapentin is available in a pill, capsule, and oral solution form. This drug has also been used to treat epilepsy and postherpetic neuralgia.
By decreasing abnormal activity in the brain, Gabapentin can prevent seizures and muscle spasms. Also, it may alter how the body reacts to pain signals.
Though Gabapentin is not an opioid, it has been known to enhance the effects of other opioids when taken. It is for this reason that gabapentin use may need to be monitored by a medical professional
Why Test for Gabapentin?
Gabapentin side effects have been known to be varied. The misuse of the drug has caused some to feel effects such as feelings of euphoria and enhanced sociability.
This has led to a rise in the misuse of gabapentin. Because gabapentin isn’t a controlled substance, it’s fairly easy for people who misuse the drug to get it.
Gabapentin Test Strips
GAB Test Strips Procedure:
- Remove the Gabapentin test strip from its sealed pouch, or remove from the canister, and use it as soon as possible. For the best results, the test should be performed within an hour. The canister should be closed tightly after removing any strips.
- Hold the GAB test strip by the end, where the product name is printed. To avoid contamination, do not touch the strip membrane.
- Holding the strip vertically, dip the test strip in the urine specimen for at least 10-15 seconds. Do not immerse past the maximum line (MAX) on the test strip.
- After the test has finished running, remove the strip from the specimen and place it on a non-absorbent flat surface. Start the timer and wait for the colored band(s) to appear. The result should be read 5 minutes. Do not interpret the result after 10 minutes.
- Internal procedural controls are included in the test. A colored band appearing in the control region(C) is considered an internal positive procedural control, confirming sufficient specimen volume and correct procedural technique.
- External controls are not supplied with this kit. It is recommended that positive and negative controls be tested as a good laboratory practice to confirm the Gabapentin Test test procedure to verify proper test performance.