Cotinine Urine Test Strips
- The single panel Cotinine drug test strips detect nicotine levels in urine
- Cotinine is a Metabolite of Nicotine and is the primary alkaloid found in tobacco products
- Cutoff Level for Cotinine in this Particular Test is 200 ng/mL
- This test is designed to be both cost-efficient and reliable.
- Cotinine is detectable up to 4 days after a person’s last cigarette
- 12 Panel Now’s testing strips have high level of accuracy level at 99%.
- Test results from urine samples will be visible within five minutes.
- Forensic use only
Why Use a Cotinine Urine Test?
Despite the risks associated with nicotine use, it is not considered a controlled substance by the FDA.
Employers and institutions still are within their right to test individuals for Cotinine. They may include a cotinine test when they initiate their drug screening procedures.
On the other hand, some employers may wish to assess tobacco use within their workforce or enforce a no-smoking policy in their company.
If you want to learn more about nicotine, check out our knowledge base.
How to Use a Cotinine Urine Test Strip?
- Remove the drug test from its sealed pouch and use it as soon as possible. For best results, perform the assay within an hour.
- Next, hold the strip by the end, where you can see the product name. To avoid contamination, do not touch the strip membrane.
- Then, holding the strip vertically, dip the test strip in the urine specimen for at least 10-15 seconds. Do not immerse above the maximum line (MAX) on the test strip. That’s about 1/5th of the way up the strip.
- After the drug test has finished, remove the strip from the specimen and place it on a non-absorbent flat surface. Start the timer and wait for the colored band(s) to appear. Read the result at 5 minutes. Do not interpret it after 10 minutes.
How to Read Drug Test Strip?
What is Cotinine?
Cotinine is a metabolite of nicotine, a toxic substance that stimulates the central nervous system. It is a metabolite of Nicotine and is the main alkaloid in tobacco.
Cotinine levels can be present in the body after consuming nicotine products like cigarettes, nicotine patches, gums, and nasal sprays. Studies today show that small doses of nicotine release adrenaline.
Like many stimulants, the nicotine assumption in small amounts will increase energy and cause the user to become more alert. In larger doses, however, nicotine releases dopamine, consequently providing a sedative effect.
What Can Cause a False Positive for Cotinine?
Cotinine is a metabolite of nicotine and is often used as a biomarker for tobacco use. However, certain substances or conditions can cause a false positive for cotinine on a drug test. Here are some possible causes of a false positive for cotinine:
- Secondhand smoke exposure: Exposure to secondhand smoke can cause cotinine to be present in the body even if the person did not smoke themselves.
- Nicotine replacement therapy: Nicotine gum, patches, lozenges, or other nicotine replacement products can cause a false positive for cotinine on a drug test.
- Certain medications: Some medications, such as antibiotics or antidepressants, can cause a false positive for cotinine on a drug test.
- Foods and beverages: Certain foods and beverages, such as tea, coffee, and chocolate, can contain trace amounts of nicotine and may cause a false positive for cotinine.
- Mouthwash: Some types of mouthwash and dental products may contain small amounts of nicotine and can cause a false positive for cotinine.
Where Can I Buy a Cotinine Test?
12 Panel Now offers cotinine drug test strips at the lowest prices. Only $0.79 per strip.
Is Nicotine Tested in Drug Testing?
A standard drug test does not test for nicotine. A nicotine test is used instead to detect nicotine or its metabolite cotinine in the body. Cotinine is a chemical produced by the human body after nicotine exposure.
Nicotine testing to detect cotinine is usually done as part of a smoking cessation program, or a health or life insurance application. Nicotine testing can also be ordered by the court in child custody cases, prior to certain surgical procedures, or if there is suspected nicotine overdose or poisoning.
Nicotine can be detected in the blood, urine, saliva, and hair. A saliva test is the most sensitive test used to detect cotinine. It can detect nicotine up to 4 days after nicotine inhalation or use.
How Long is Cotinine Detectable in Urine Test?
The detection time for cotinine in a urine test depends on the frequency of exposure to nicotine. If a person smokes infrequently, cotinine may be present in their urine for about four days, while with regular exposure to nicotine, it may be detectable for up to three weeks after the last exposure. However, both nicotine and cotinine are usually detectable in the blood for 1 to 3 days after the person stops using tobacco.
Can You Test Positive for Cotinine from Second Hand Smoke?
How Long Does Cotinine Stay in Your System?
What Can Cause a Failed Drug Test?
A failed drug test can mean either a positive test result or problems in the testing process that affect the result of the test. It can also be caused by food or medication taken before testing.
A failed drug test due to a positive drug test result means the drugs tested for are detected in the body. The individual failed the drug test because drugs are present in his body above the cut-off level, indicating the use of the drugs tested for.
A failed drug test can also mean a breach in the integrity of the testing process thereby affecting the results of the test. The breach in testing protocol may occur in specimen collection, handling, or storage.
Highly beneficial and affordable drug testing strips. Recommend to all.
After facing the quality issue from another company, we decided to try 12panel now and fully satisfied. These drug test strips are excellent, reliable and great. Prices are also good. We use them easily and get accurate results within 5 minutes. Really appreciative drug testing products.
5 stars. Highly recommended.
Never thought that the drug screening will become so simple, cost-effective and fast. 12 Panel now make it possible for our firm and now we are serving many people. Thanks a lot team.
Overall, the best services and the best 12-panel drug test equipment. You can easily use them to get accurate results.
This company is highly recommended to get high-quality drug urine test products.